Friday, December 14, 2012

Semester End

The semester is coming to a close, thus people are stressed. At my college, this seems to mean an increase in people quoting such verses as Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through him who strengthens me." And thus, my wondering whether I would agree with those people about what they think those verses mean.
Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. --Philippians 4:11-13
The sort of doing involved here seems to me, from the context, to be that of one who says that he can lose a game. It is not that I can pass my tests through him who gives me strength, though that is not outside his power, but the pint is that I can fail my finals through him who gives me strength because the reason for my taking the finals is his glory, and I know that whatever the end my rock, my salvation, will be glorified whether by my life or my death, my smartness or idiocy. Whether I pass my finals or not is not the point, the point is whether God is glorified. I want to go to pass, but I can fail to do so, through him who gives me strength to live in the world as one who is dead to the world, and if his glory is made more visible by my utter "failure," then I would rather "fail" than succeed as the world counts success. For to me, to succeed is Christ, and to fail is gain. His power is made perfect in weakness. My success is by his power and for his name's sake, my weakness is to show his power and for his name's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment